About this Organization
Established in 1899, South University (www.southuniversity.edu) is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population. South University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctorate degrees. The University traces its heritage to 1899, when Dr. John Draughon established Draughon’s Practical Business College in Savannah, Georgia. Over the past century-plus, South University has experienced continued growth transforming from a two-year college into a university offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs.South University’s approach to higher education, and the resulting varied academic experiences, provides students with the pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. The University provides a learning environment, both on-campus and online, that helps students identify goals and the means to achieve them. With this philosophy in mind, students can learn by interacting with a community of faculty, staff and administration dedicated to South University’s academic purpose. South University offers more than 50 academic programs across its 11 campuses and through online programs. The University’s academics are organized across five colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business, Health Professions, Nursing and Public Health, Theology – and a School of Pharmacy. South University’s students are engaged in the communities in which they live and attend school. They volunteer their talents to organizations large and small, personifying a commitment to service and to their communities. With the introduction of South University, Online Programs, students can pursue both undergraduate degree and master’s degree programs ranging from the areas of Criminal Justice to Business – giving South University students more opportunities to make a difference, both personally and professionally.
The Program Director is a member of the faculty (rank commensurate with experience) who also holds an administrative appointment related to managing a specific program or programs.
Responsibilities include: classroom instruction, day-to-day program operations, assisting students toward successful program completion and staffing the classroom with instructors who support the mission of the University. The Program Director is co-responsible with the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs for the fiscal well being of the program as it relates to education and helping to maintain/grow enrollment.
The Program Director also participates in activities that promote the stature of the department and the campus and abides by the mandates set by the South University Board of Trustees, University Chancellor, University Vice President â€“ Academic Affairs, Campus President, and the local Executive Committee.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Perform instructional duties as assigned as outlined in the Faculty job description and in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Select and develop Program Advisory Council (PAC) that meets at least one time per year
- Participates in faculty development each year as required.
- Select, train, develop, manage, and lead regular and adjunct faculty according to the guidelines provided by the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs, the Program Chair and in accordance with the policies and procedures of the University/Campus.
- Effectively administer and grow your assigned academic program including curriculum development, student registration/advisement, community relations and campus relations.
- Support college programs designed to achieve student completion rates as outlined in the five year strategic plan.
- Collaborate with other Academic Program Directors within own school and across schools and with the Department Chair re: scheduling, sharing faculty, curriculum and other. Other responsibilities as determined by the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs and Department Chair.
Reports To: Campus Dean of Academic Affairs & Operations, Department Chair, and/or Campus President
Interacts with: Inside contact encompasses the entire range of personnel. Outside contacts may include community and professional leaders as well as other educators.
- Current NCCPA Certification; eligible for Licensure as a PA in Virginia
- Academic leadership experience in a university setting
- Earned terminal degree (Master’s level) from a PA program accredited by ARC-PA and regionally accredited university
- Teaching and practical experience in the field in a university setting
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and implement accreditation criteria and state agency regulations
- Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from employees, students, regulatory agencies, or members of the academic or business community
- Ability to effectively present information to faculty, academic and campus leaders, corporate leaders, and public groups
- Experience with computerized administrative systems. Proficient with the use of standard office applications on personal computers
- Other requirements specific to the discipline.
Work Environment & Notice *
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Location/Region: Glen Allen, VA (US - 23060)