This position is part of an interdisciplinary team of manufacturing technical (MT) engineers at the DowDuPont Protection Technologies (DPS) Tyvek® manufacturing facility at the Spruance site Richmond, VA. The MT team is responsible to deliver the technology and process capability needed to operate, maintain and improve the manufacturing operations. This position works closely with site manufacturing teams as well as the Quality team to drive product, quality and process improvements through on aim process strategy along the process chain. The position also resumes partial responsibility for the camera-based visual inspection systems that are utilized for defect recognition as well as some responsibility for training of operations resources to support the safe operation of the plant as well as continuous improvement responsibility to ensure the efficient operation of the plant. Job Duties:
- Drive deep understanding of property and defect development along the process chain within the organization through i.e. property modeling, data trending/analysis, profile analysis.
- Reviewing and identifying property shifts and correlating those with process shifts through close collaboration with MT and Quality resources.
- Improve “on aim” strategy throughout the various steps of the production process.
- Review of quality data from e.g. camera vision systems, driving and supporting use of vision systems in operations for defect detection, improving vision system capabilities and supporting implementation of new vision systems.
- Support customer complaint investigations in regards to visual and property defects.
- Process and product development support.
- Driving Safety and Environmental standards, and review/update Process Operating Procedures & Technology Summaries.
- Mentoring and assisting in training of manufacturing staff.
- Assignment will require limited on-call support.
- B.S or M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Material Science with a GPA higher than 3.0 or significant relevant experience
- Understanding of statistical calculations and analysis as it relates to process capabilities and process controls.
- Understanding of product properties, property measurement and reporting and process parameters that influence and/or control product properties.
- Ability to understand / support complex operation with sophisticated machinery and technically challenging process
- > 5 years work experience in a chemical manufacturing environment is highly desired.
- Legal right to work in the US without restriction (Green Card or Citizenship)
- Strong demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Ability to communicate with impact (both written & oral)
- Good interpersonal skills to allow productive and collaborative relationships with internal & external customers, vendors, operations, mechanical and technical personnel.
- Must be self-motivated
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Special consideration will be given to candidates who meet minimum requirements and have experience with polymer film or fiber processes. Although the position level range is 7-9, self-nominations of candidates at slightly higher and lower levels will be considered. DowDuPont is a global Fortune 100 company, operating in more than 70 countries today. We are looking for people who have a passion for delivering innovative, sustainable solutions that meet our customer needs for a better, healthier, safer life. DowDuPont offers an exciting place to work where thousands of innovations are introduced every year. You will have opportunities for growth through involvement in various dynamic industries from high-tech to high-performance, including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation, and apparel. At DowDuPont, you will find sustainability in our vision, our business and your future.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at
Location/Region: Richmond, VA (US)