Enjoy the beautiful outdoors at our 100 acre Camp Thunderbird! Build relationships with families as the leader of this impactful program!
YMCAYMCA of Greater Richmond
- Our mission: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
- Our cause: At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, the Y works side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.
- Our position: The Y is a leading nonprofit organization that is committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living,and social responsibility.
- General Description: Provide leadership and oversight to YMCA association-wide Adventure Guide programs. Must be able to lead and contribute in a team environment with all age groups.
- The YMCA of Greater Richmond produces a high quality Adventure Guide program and is viewed, by the staff and community, as a superior program option for Richmond area families.
- The Director of Adventure Guides embodies excellent leadership and program expertise all furthering the program goals and objectives of the YMCA of Greater Richmond.
QualificationsKnowledge & Skills:
The Director should be enthusiastic, motivated to create high quality programs, and committed to the YMCA mission. A four-year degree in a related field is preferred. At least three years’ related experience is required, with at least one year of experience in a supervisory role. Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are necessary. The ability to plan, develop, organize, manage, prioritize and administer tasks is essential. Previous budgeting experience, computer proficiency, and administrative skills are preferred. Professionalism, diplomacy and the ability to work and communicate with staff, participants, and parents essential. Physical Requirements:
Ability to see and hear program participants during program activities; must be able to recognize and respond to unsafe situations. Ability to use a computer, telephone and related business equipment as necessary for this position. Must be able to remain standing for long periods of time and requires the ability to traverse the grounds at Camp Thunderbird and perform physical tasks to prepare for program activities. May be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. Must communicate effectively with others. Must be able to bend, stoop, lift to 25 pounds, and move and carry equipment related to programs. Noise level may be elevated during programs.Essential FunctionsESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Interpret, communicate, and promote Y mission, goals, and objectives to department employees, volunteer leaders, members, and the community. Promote, foster and support the Y’s commitment to access, inclusion and engagement for all by engaging diverse populations in a welcoming environment. Build and maintain positive relationships with members and staff. Support branch/department initiatives related to membership retention and Annual Giving goals. Develop, administer and oversee implementation of Adventure Guide programs throughout the association, including active program participation and oversight. Supervise Adventure Guide staff, including hiring, training, scheduling, monitoring, evaluating, and providing feedback. Build rapport with program participants, families, and staff to enhance programs and services. Facilitate and maintain positive communication with all stakeholders. Plan and lead teambuilding and retreat activities for various groups. Maintain quality of facilities and site, including grounds, equipment and supplies. May oversee and/or assist with completion of facilities projects. Develop and manage budget, including timely and accurate forecasting and analysis. Establish and enforce emergency procedures appropriate to the site and in conformity with procedures adopted by emergency service authorities, including CPR/Aid, Emergency Response, OSHA and facility safety standards. Communicate plan to all on-site management and program participants. Lead marketing and promotion efforts for assigned programs. May fill-in in child care or camp programs as needed. Attend meetings and trainings as required. Attend and support programs, events, meetings and trainings as needed.
Cause-Driven Leadership® CompetenciesLEADERSHIP Competencies:
Values, Community, Inclusion, Relationships, Influence, Decision Making, Project Management, Finance and Quality ResultsSalary$38,000.00 - $40,000.00
Location/Region: Richmond, VA (US)