Description: DuPont Production Solutions (DPS) is looking for an experienced MT manager to lead and manage the Kevlar® manufacturing technical team at the Spruance plant in Richmond to deliver the technology and process capability needed to operate, maintain and improve the manufacturing operation. This is a large span position responsible for Kevlar® polymer production for global needs, fiber spinning, pulp manufacturing, gypsum byproduct isolation, and solvent recovery. This position is primarily responsible for manufacturing technology stewardship including strong process technology knowledge, documentation and establishing the personnel competency required to drive execution to deliver results. It is a key leadership role for the global Kevlar® Manufacturing Excellence Team (KMET) which develops and executes programs to apply the best process & equipment technology and manufacturing practices globally to improve the operations performance for the Kevlar® enterprise. The MT manager works closely with business and manufacturing leaders at a strategic level to define the technology direction and programs of significance to the business. They are also responsible as a member of the site leadership team to work collaboratively with operations leaders to define unit goals (safety, asset productivity and quality), program priorities, and budget forecasts aligned with business directives. The MT manager directly supervises the manufacturing technical staff in the Kevlar® manufacturing facility and is a critical leader for the site PSM, environmental compliance, engineering and capital management programs. They also work with other DPT technology leaders to drive functional competency and talent development across DPT. The personnel and operational challenges require an experienced leader who can ensure strong MT support to drive PSM efforts (PHAs, MI/QA, reliability, root cause failure analysis, MOC-T, training, etc.), strengthen the process technology documentation, drive operating discipline, and execute programs for safety, improvement, and growth. Job Duties:
- Establish MT group objectives in alignment with unit, site and business objectives, and leads team to meet objectives through effective prioritization and resource allocation. Remove obstacles from work streams to enable timely completion.
- Responsible to ensure PSM Technology elements are adequately resourced and systems in place to ensure OSHA regulatory and corporate policy compliance.
- Accountable for the execution of the Technology PSM Elements, and ensure that Safety corrective actions are completed on time and meet the intent.
- Identify critical technology programs and set work priorities appropriately (core values, business drivers, personnel development, etc.).
- Reconcile technical staffing with critical success programs and business constraints. Develop and execute plans to align program execution and staffing with business objectives. Over time, adjust staffing levels as necessary to address business needs including hiring and attrition.
- Collaborate with the site/unit manager to lead the combined organization to successfully address unit and business challenges. Develop and foster a collaborative team environment.
- Manage the Work Order level (<$500K) capital budget and projects prioritization process.
- Manage costs to meet PO budgetary guidance.
- Responsible/accountable for the development of the 5-year Technology Plan for the unit in concert with the global DPT asset plan, working closely with the supply chain and business engineering leaders.
- Responsible for personnel development (e.g. career development, technical competency, people skills, etc.) as well as succession planning for critical functional competencies.
- When needed recruit top talent to build the strength of the MT function.
- BS, MS or PhD in engineering or chemistry.
- Min. 7 years working experience in manufacturing technical, process development and/or operations role.
- Experience successfully leading multiple projects or programs while working effectively across organizational boundaries (functions, locations, companies, etc.).
Minimum Skills Required:
- Working knowledge of how Technology, Operations, and Supply Chain function together to execute the Make to Deliver and business improvement processes successfully.
- Ability to flexibly manage in the face of uncertainty in a dynamic business environment.
- Ability to make tough choices in a constrained environment and communicate effectively the basis and implications of those choices to the business.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, with ability to interact with range of personnel including wage role operator & maintenance technicians, business management, and external customers.
- Strong customer focus.
- Must be able to lead by influence while managing a diverse workforce and changing work load.
- Must have good problem solving skills and be able to quickly identify, define and resolve problems.
- Process Safety Management experience (OSHA 1910 & related corporate policies).
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at
Location/Region: Richmond, VA (US)